Finally the drizzles are here and I’m loving the climate completely hope this continues for the coming days as well. Had a busy week both at work and home.More busy days ahead so I am trying to keep myself prepared for them.
Coming to todays recipe vegetable pulao . This is a easy and filling one pot meal. It just needs raita to finish off the bowl. Only chopping the veggies is time consuming even for that my chopper comes to the rescue. If thats ready this pulao can be done in a jiffy.
* Basmati Rice-1 cup
* Onion – 1/2 medium chopped lengthwise
* Bay leaf – 1
* Jeera -2 tsp
* Green chilli chopped finely -1
* Ginger garlic paste – 3 tsp
* Vegetables of your choice – almost 1/2 cup
(I used 2 carrots, 4-5 beans and handful of peas)
* Oil-1 tbsp
* Ghee-1 tbsp
* Salt – to taste
* Red chilli powder-1 tsp
* Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
* Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp (optional – I didn’t use it)
* Water – 1.5 cups
* Cashews – 4 to 5 broken (I used it as whole for garnishing)
To be grinded:
*Cinnamon-1 inch stick
*Cardamom – 1
*Onion – 1/2 medium sized onion
*Rinse rice well twice atleast and soak in water for 30mins. Just sprinkle water in ‘to be grinded’ list and grind it to a paste, keep aside.
* In a pressure cooker, Heat a tsp of ghee, fry the cashews and keep aside. Now add 1tbsp of oil and 1/2 tbsp of ghee. Add bayleaf, jeera, gingergarlic paste, onions and green chillies.
* Fry for 2-3 minutes.Now add the onion spices mixture and fry for few mins.
* Now add veggies with salt and fry for few minutes.The veggies should be crunchy not soft.
Add chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well.
* Now add the basmati rice and fry for 3 mins. Now add exactly 1.5 cups of water and allow it to boil.
* Close and pressure cook it for 8-9 mins. Open and garnish with ghee fried cashewsand corinder lives
* Add remaining 1/2 tbsp of ghee and mix gently.
The aroma of ghee with vegetables in rice with garnished cashews and coriander leaf. I am not a fan of restaurant pulaos because most of them have strong flavors of the spices.
A raita is a simple preparation made by adding fruits, vegetables or any other thing to beaten curds. Most Indian families enjoy curds either plain or in the form of delicious raitas as an accompaniment with lunch or dinner. Raitas are unique because they are cool and spicy at the same time. Indians cherish a large variety of Raitas and i am giving a resipe of Raita u must like it with the Vegetable Rice.
*2 Cups Curd (yogurt)
*1 Small Pineapple
*1 Ripe Mango
*1 Cup Pomegranate Seeds
*Chopped Coriander Leaves
*Sugar to taste
*Salt to taste
*Black pepper powder to taste
How to make fruit raita:
* Stir the curd with hand mixer (Mathni) properly and mix salt, sugar, and curd is thick add little milk or water.
* Cup all fruits in small cubes and add to the curd.
* Garnish the fruit raita with chopped coriander and pomegranate.